Acknowledging the cultural and artistic richness of our community and wanting to support and enhance its growth, a group of Buffalo artists came together in the Fall of 2001 to form the Elmwood Gallery District, now Artists in Buffalo Inc., a 501(c)3 organization. It is dedicated to building connections within the visual arts community and the region itself.
The mission of the association is to:
- Support, promote and increase the visibility of regional artists, galleries, museums and related arts businesses
- Provide a substantial visual resource that conveys the quality and breadth of art created in our area
- Provide a unique opportunity for the greater community to visit artists in their working environment
- Support Buffalo Niagara region in its quest to be identified as a strong cultural center and its emergence as an arts destination
This association has made amazing strides since its inception in the Fall 2001, showcasing the cultural and artistic treasures in the city and region.
Currently the 2 areas of concentration are:
- Website to highlight individual artists and galleries. This website was redesigned thanks to the generous donation from the Margaret L.Wendt Foundation.
- The Holiday Open Studios and Galleries held the first weekend in December. This event is very successful, and brings thousands of visitors from the city and surrounding area to participating artist studios and local galleries.
All artists and galleries are invited to participate in all Artists in Buffalo, Inc functions. Currently, all organizational work is performed by volunteer staff.
Board of Directors:
Catherine Gillespie: President and Co-Founder
Anne Bliss: Treasurer
Judy Shanley: Secretary
Elisabeth Samuels: Co-Founder